Hello and welcome!
Howdy! I’m Christine and this is my little slice of the web. I started this blog in May of 2014 as a way for me to document my creative pursuits and also to connect with other like-minded, creative, Pinterest-obsessed, DIY wannabes.
I’m also a stay-at-home-mom. Woot! That means this blog is also an avenue for me to let my creative juices flow and have something to do for myself…because let’s face it, changing diapers, cutting up chicken nuggets, and singing “The Wheels On The Bus” gets pretty old after a while.
Wanna know some more about me?
Ahhhh, where to begin…. I have a Bachelor’s degree as well as two Master’s degrees in Psychology (yes, two Master’s. I was a permanent student there for a while), but please don’t ask me for some couch time! I’m no Freud. I sort of fell into a career in management at a Fortune 500 company where I worked up until my first son was born in 2013.
I’ve always loved creating things. I was the kid who had to have every Crayola set growing up and took every art class in school. Now thanks to the age of Pinterest, I’ve become even more inspired in all things DIY…home decor, gifts, baby goodies, etc.
I’m not an expert in anything, but I love giving new things a try…sometimes it’s an epic fail, other times I strike gold! Such is life.
So, what’s with the name?
Where The Smiles Have Been?? What’s up with that?
Well, it’s from a favorite quote of mine by a certain gentleman named Mark Twain:
“Wrinkles would merely indicate where the smiles have been.”
That same sentiment is also eloquently sung by one of my favorite musicians, Jimmy Buffett, in his song Barefoot Children (if you haven’t ever heard this Buffett song, it’s definitely worth a listen):
“Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.”
These words speak to me because they remind me to look on the bright side of things…focus on the positive instead of dwelling on the less than perfect. I can either choose to see the “wrinkles” in my life (both literal and figurative) as blemishes, or I can choose to put on my rose-colored glasses and remember why they’re in my life…because that’s where my smiles have been.
Why am I tired? Because I have two beautiful little boys who needed me in the middle of night. Why is my house a mess? Because I spent the afternoon at the park with my family enjoying a gorgeous afternoon instead of cleaning.
See what I mean? Life is all about perspective, and I’m consciously choosing a cheery outlook…or doing my best to at least. Life is good after all!
Random facts about me!
- I have two Master’s degrees in Psychology.
- The Hubs once told me to stop singing aloud in the car because I was causing him to become physically ill. (“You’re making my stomach hurt!”)
- You can serve a potato in any manner and I will eat it.
- HUGE University of Kentucky basketball fan. Like, crazy fanatical. #BBN
- Ice cream is my vice. I GOT. TO. HAVE IT.
- I would love to learn how to sew one day.
- Most HBO shows hold a special place in my heart.
- Few things make me happier than a trip to the hair salon.
- Constantly adding to my list of book boyfriends.
- I like using parentheses (a lot) as well as…ellipses. Hey, it’s my writing style.
- I usually have roughly a dozen or so projects in progress at any given time that I bounce back and forth between…it’s a good day when one reaches completion!
- Bright colors make me happy.
- Plain nails make me sad.
And there you have it…me and this blog in a nutshell. Thanks for taking the time to get to know me a little better!